Assistant District Attorney (Entry Level)
Future Prosecutors: Fall Classes 2024
Nassau County was named the “Safest Community in America” by U.S. News & World Report for the second consecutive year. This distinction is not a coincidence – it is the direct result of the superb work of the talented, well-trained prosecutors at the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office.
With more than 200 lawyers and a total staff of over 430, the Nassau DA’s Office is one of the largest DA’s Offices in the country. Because of our proximity to New York City, we enjoy a unique blend of suburban idyll (miles of oceanfront beaches, hundreds of parks and award-winning schools) and easy access to NYC’s robust cultural, nightlife and restaurant scenes.
Members of our legal staff are provided with training, mentorship and ongoing opportunities for professional development. In our collegial and collaborative environment, new Assistant District Attorneys will cultivate a professional home within the world of criminal justice and enjoy a rewarding and exciting position that includes ample litigation opportunities. Each fall we welcome a diverse class of new Assistant District Attorneys, recruited and selected from a competitive pool of applicants nationwide. These new prosecutors all bring with them passion and talent for courtroom advocacy and litigation, a commitment to pursuing justice and the ability to provide support to crime victims in need. Our Assistants choose to work in Nassau County because of its safety and vibrancy, and their own dedication to preserving that environment for all its residents.
Are you ready to join our pursuit of justice and serve our community as an Assistant District Attorney in 2024?
Ideal candidates will have:
- strong academic credentials
- a demonstrated commitment to public service and criminal law (e.g., Moot Court/Mock Trial, trial advocacy and/or clinical program)
- excellent verbal, writing and critical thinking skills
- leadership abilities (e.g., confidence, integrity and ethics, motivation to achieve, time management skills)
- maturity (e.g., empathy, good judgment, strong work ethic)
- interpersonal and teamwork skills
Each seat in the Fall class is highly competitive. All applications are thoroughly reviewed and successful candidates will undergo three rounds of interviews as follows:
- Initial Interview with a senior-level Assistant District Attorney from the Hiring Committee.
- Panel Interview with two supervisory Assistant District Attorneys from the Hiring Committee.
- District Attorney Interview with D.A. Donnelly and the Chief Assistant District Attorney.
- Come prepared with knowledge about the Nassau County District Attorney's Office and why you want to/should be selected to become a prosecutor here.
- Be ready to discuss in detail what is expected from the role of a prosecutor.
- You will be expected to demonstrate a high level of understanding and reasoning on topics such as ethics and suppression issues.
- Be yourself and be genuine in your responses. We discourage "canned" questions and answers. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
If you have any questions, please call (516) 571-3387.
To apply for Fall 2024 Class:
The Nassau County District Attorney’s Office is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.