Assistant District Attorney (Lateral Hiring)
ASSISTANT DISTRICT ATTORNEY - Lateral Hiring
The Nassau County District Attorney’s Office is currently seeking experienced, practicing attorneys for its Litigation Division, County Court Bureau (responsible for the prosecution of felony-level criminal cases in Nassau County) and its Investigations Division (responsible for the prosecution of fraud, corruption, financial crimes, narcotics/firearms/gangs, organized crime and rackets cases).
Thank you for your interest in applying to the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office as a lateral applicant! A lateral applicant is an experienced attorney who is currently practicing law.
Nassau County was named the “Safest Community in America” by U.S. News & World Report for the second consecutive year. This distinction is not a coincidence – it is the direct result of the superb work of the talented, well-trained prosecutors at the Nassau County District Attorney’s Office.
With more than 220 lawyers and a total staff of nearly 450, the Nassau DA’s Office is one of the largest DA’s Offices in the country. Because of our proximity to New York City, we enjoy a unique blend of suburban idyll (miles of oceanfront beaches, hundreds of parks and award-winning schools) and easy access to NYC’s robust cultural, nightlife and restaurant scenes.
Members of our legal staff are provided with training, mentorship and ongoing opportunities for professional development. In our collegial and collaborative environment, Assistant District Attorneys cultivate a professional home within the world of criminal justice and enjoy a rewarding and exciting position as a prosecutor. Our diverse staff of Assistant District Attorneys is recruited and selected from a competitive pool of applicants nationwide. Our prosecutors bring with them passion and talent for courtroom advocacy and litigation, a commitment to pursuing justice and the ability to provide support to crime victims in need. Our Assistants choose to work in Nassau County because of its safety and vibrancy, and their personal dedication to preserving that environment for all its residents.
Qualifications and Requirements
All lateral candidates must:
- have passed the NYS Bar Examination and be admitted to the practice of law in NYS, in good standing, prior to submitting an application.
- Reside in New York State as of the effective date of employment with the NCDAO.
- have at least five (5) years of experience in handling all aspects of criminal investigation and prosecution, including significant grand jury and felony jury trial experience (Litigation Division) and long-term investigations experience, as well as grand jury and felony jury trial experience (Investigations Division).
- have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- have strong organizational and analytical abilities.
- make a two-year commitment to employment at the NCDAO.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Day to day life for an ADA requires organized management of an active criminal case docket, which includes:
- preparing and filing pleadings, handling discovery, briefing and arguing motions;
- conducting witness preparation, grand jury presentations, hearings and trials;
- evaluating cases to formulate and negotiate appropriate dispositions;
- conferencing cases with defense counsel and judges;
- making court appearances pertaining to all phases of litigation;
- investigating cases using various types of legal process (subpoenas, court orders, search warrants, and/or eavesdropping warrants), cooperating defendants, and traditional and electronic surveillance; and
- collaborating with the NCPD and Nassau County’s local police departments, as well as a variety of local, state and federal law enforcement partners.
As an ADA, you will receive the following benefits (waiting periods may apply):
- 13 paid holidays each year
- Paid vacation, personal and sick days each year
- Contributory medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- New York State Employees Retirement Plan
- Optional Deferred Compensation Plan
- Flexible benefits plan for medical and child-care expenses
- Childcare leave program
- County Credit Union
- Competitive salary, commensurate with experience
Lateral applicants will complete 3 rounds of interviews:
- Initial Interview with a senior-level Assistant District Attorney from the Hiring Committee
- Panel Interview with two supervisory Assistant District Attorneys from the Hiring Committee
- District Attorney Interview with DA Donnelly and the Chief Assistant District Attorney.
If you have questions call (516) 571-3387.
The Nassau County District Attorney’s Office is an inclusive equal opportunity employer committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.